[Magdalen] Precip.

Lynn Ronkainen houstonklr at gmail.com
Mon Nov 2 19:34:30 UTC 2015

Major rains here again over the weekend (here being Houston and the burbs -
my abode) and for the first time, possibly because we've had so much rain in
the last 4 weeks, TONS of sewage ended up in local bayous and on the roads :
P  as the waters receded. Really bad news and on the heels of divisive
issues of infrastructure neglect and budget shortfalls.

Our spunky 3 term mayor has sunk billions in to enlarging and enhancing our
green space, but in her last term (3 term limit here) she has been
especially bold in her creativity. What has gone wanting during her tenure
is any attention to infrastructure - our roads are s**t, private and
interstate, 2+ of which cross here, not to mention other 6-8 lane non
interstate roads. Sidewalks in the city (except for downtown) - abysmal!!!
and the underground water system (many, many pipes burst two summers ago
during huge drought, and only patch-patch attempt to solve immediate
problems). Me thinks her legacy will not be positive. AND tomorrow the city
votes on the famous 'bathroom measure' that has been getting national press
time, for one of several angles for the last 18  months (subpoenaed pastor
sermons!!, raising the hackles of religious groups, championing the GLBTetc
forces, creation of sick negative ads... creating questionable positive ads,
and 'Gidget' even made an appearance last week on the 'for' side ... you
know, Sally Fields) all for a 'law' that common sense says is already
covered by federal law. As I said... what a legacy. I doubt that she will be
remembered for more than being our first gay woman mayor and championing
this bathroom issue...  I think it may very well be voted down and who knows
what that will do with Houston as a venue with the current rage of
withdrawing conventions and such from cities that become controversial in
this vein?  sigh.

Lynn

website: www.ichthysdesigns.com

attributed to Erma Bombeck