[Magdalen] Camille's Dementia

Allan Carr allanc25 at gmail.com
Mon Nov 2 22:25:04 UTC 2015

Camille attends a day care center where she's much appreciated by the staff
because she's lively, fun, and adds a lot to the group. However, she's also
playfully physical and can, playfully, show a fist or even, playfully, slap
someone on the head or rear.

Some people are objecting to this, which I understand because I'm
uncomfortable when Camille directs it to me. Things came to a head when one
participant reported to her daughter that Camille punched her and the
daughter complained to the center. The class supervisor emphatically told
me, when I inquired, that this punch was not meant in earnest, but I'm
bothered that it happened.

After a discussion with the group leader, i was surprised that Camille was
still welcome. She went today, but now I'm wondering about personal
liability. I could, i suppose, limit the day care class to just mornings
and send our caregiver to sort of guard her, but I'm not sure that would be
effective. I also would miss having my breakfast and lunch prepared for me
at home.

But at home, she just sits in her easy chair with our toy poodle Joey in
her lap watching TV. I'm sure the center and all her interaction is really
good for her but i think it may be time to end her participation.

She does go to a gym three days a week for an elders gym class which she
enjoys. I probably ought to look for other classes like that for her with
limited interaction with others.

Too bad, but there it is.

--
Allan Carr