[Magdalen] Precip.

Jim Guthrie jguthrie at pipeline.com
Mon Nov 2 22:27:16 UTC 2015

Snark is right . . .

>Well, of course. Lynn, *Washington* is supposed to handle the
>infrastructure, you know. /snark/  Which, of course, they won't, being more
>embroiled in things like trying to regulate lady parts and suchlike.

A very minor part of infrastructure investment comes out of Washington. But we
don’t see how much towns and municipalities and counties and states pay, because
the aggregate totals are not counted.

Complicating the matter is that some larger infrastructure items locally --
sewers, bridges and other projects, are paid for by selling debt which puts them
"off line" in budgeting.

The smarmiest politicos of course claim that local and state governments have to
"balance their budget" -- true to a point, while incurring billions in off-line
debt to pay for ranging from University Dorms and Classroom Buildings to
Turnpikes and Sewer Systems and Libraries and public buildings and a myriad of
other things. They even sell revenue anticipation notes, -- borrowing against
future tax increases.

In the federal budget -- everything is on a cash basis and the difference
between income and outgo thus is counted as "deficit" and contributes to the
National Debt.

The saddest thing is that millions of ignoramus Americans believe the
politicians canard comparing the federal budget to the state and local budgets
thinking the latter are somehow "balanced."

Cheers,
Jim