[Magdalen] Time is -- uh ....

Roger Stokes roger.stokes65 at btinternet.com
Tue Nov 3 00:33:02 UTC 2015

Don,

I think the problem is that half the electorate are below average
intelligence.  They also tend to have their views informed by news media
that match their previous views.  The problem with this is that it tends
to drive people to the ends of the political spectrum, and this applies
particularly to those who select the candidates for their particular Party.

 From what I have read this is a particular problem for the Republican
Party at present. (In principle this could happen in the Democratic
Party as well at some stage.) I believe there are sensible, rational
supporters of that Party on this list and elsewhere.  The problem is
that if X wants to be the candidate then they need to espouse views
distinctly right of centre to secure the nomination.

If the area from which they want to be elected is sufficiently dyed in
the wool Republican then, come the General Election, they will get in
and continue to promote their partisan views.  The problem is that the
majority of people in their constituency may well not support those
views, but it is the elected representative who helps decide what laws
are passed.

Roger