[Magdalen] Heather Cook

Molly Wolf lupa at kos.net
Wed Nov 4 21:50:40 UTC 2015

I don't care what method people use to break out of alcohol addiction.  AA works for some, but it's never claimed to be The One True Solution.  I found it really useful in my own early days in recovery, and I know people who still find it invaluable after years of sobriety. The 12 Steps are a sound spiritual program.

What does grind my gears is the dismissal of alcoholism as a problem.  Both of my parents were alcoholics, and it's not a teensy-bitty sniggery problem.  Alcoholism kills people, but first it destroys them, as it has destroyed Heather Cook.

I dislike boozy church functions and feel they're unnecessary.  The parish that I now attend doesn't serve alcohol.  It's not "self-righteousness" or Puritanism.  It's just the way things are done.

Molly

The man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. -- Mark Twain