[Magdalen] Heather Cook

Lynn Ronkainen houstonklr at gmail.com
Thu Nov 5 02:38:53 UTC 2015

A note on the variety of recovery programs related to alcohol... Alanon is
for friends/family of an alcoholic, Alateen, is for the children of an
alcoholic, ACA is for people who grew up in an alcoholic family but may have
not identified problems with themselves being related to alcohol until they
were adults.. note this group also includes people who grew up in
dysfunctional families, and often includes alcoholics who have gained some
significant recovery.

Important news for those who may not be aware of the role of these ancillary
groups, for people whose lives were/are touched by alcohol, is that these
groups are all about the individual themselves, attending the group, NOT the
alcoholic in their life, earlier life, or former life. They are not in their
group to help, cure or fix the person who drinks  and who may be the reason
they decided to seek out a solution in one of these programs.

It is also important to realize that groups are self-run and each group is
only as healthy as the people in it trying to become healthy, hopefully with
a history of some old timers who pass it on/down. Each member strives for
honesty about themselves in order to begin to unravel their own issues and
begin to change their life.

Lynn

website: www.ichthysdesigns.com

attributed to Erma Bombeck