[Magdalen] Head injuries

Roger Stokes roger.stokes65 at btinternet.com
Thu Nov 5 09:35:06 UTC 2015

On 05/11/2015 02:11, Jay Weigel wrote:
> It does, except that there was a a situation in the Tennessee-Kentucky game
> this past Saturday when a UT player was called for targeting (spearing) and
> thrown out of the game. Several separate camera angles showed that there
> was no helmet contact whatsoever, he did not lead with his head, and it was
> strictly shoulder contact. However, there is no appealing in such a case, which seems absolutely wrong.

In televised rugby matches here there is another official, the TMO, who
can study video of an incident and advise the referee whether there has
been a foul, score or whatever.  Yes, we gripe about the game being held
up while this happens but it does mean the referee is more likely to
make the correct decision.  Of course in American football you are used
to relatively short plays with significant gaps between them so this
would not be as disruptive there.

Roger