[Magdalen] Respite care

Marion Thompson marionwhitevale at gmail.com
Thu Nov 5 16:01:35 UTC 2015

On the subject, I am involved in a respite time involving 25-yr
Whitevale friends and neighbours.  Once bright-eyed and funny and a
talented weaver, Anna has descended into a frail, grey, staring and
wordless state over the last years, now totally dependent for all her
needs.  Gord gives her loving sacrificial care pretty much on his own
and we have watched him age before our eyes.  He has arranged a week of
respite care out of a newly-discovered entitlement of 100 days in a
calendar year and he has gone to Victoria BC for a visit with old
friends, his only break in all this time.  It happened that the only
place he could arrange is right here in Port Hope, so I am toddling over
each day to spend some time with Anna, who may or may not know at all
who I am, perhaps a vaguely familiar face, perhaps not.  I'll be able to
give him a more independent view of how it seems to have gone.

  I pray  this is the beginning of some longer term possibility, because
to me they have passed that point of need.  I hope his break gives him
the taste for more!

Marion, a pilgrim