[Magdalen] Heather Cook

Jim Guthrie jguthrie at pipeline.com
Thu Nov 5 17:54:14 UTC 2015

From: Ginga Wilder

>Jim, the bishop has consecrated our space - the room.  The altar we are
>using is not permanent - the permanent altar is being handmade now.  It
>will travel with us wherever we go.

T thought the space was being rented? Borrowed?

The tradition has always been to consecrate churches upon construction
completion and/or acceptance into a Diocese. I would suspect that all the
churches of which we are members have been consecrated. In some cases when
churches close, they are de-consecrated, but I think many others that close
simply close without further ado (people hate to admit failure).

Certainly Holy Apostles has been consecrated -- I believe twice -- after it was
constructed, and after repairs following a disastrous fire some years ago. Doesn’t
stop them from using it as a cafeteria to serve the homeless.

Cheers,
Jim