[Magdalen] Weddings during Advent?

Scott Knitter scottknitter at gmail.com
Fri Nov 6 03:39:22 UTC 2015

On Thu, Nov 5, 2015 at 8:48 PM, Grace Cangialosi <gracecan at gmail.com> wrote:
> Is there any restriction about performing weddings during Advent? I've never had it come up, but someone asked that question today. I don't know where to look, because I don't even know where the proscription about weddings during Lent is found; I just know that's what I was told.

I agree with Jim H that there's no exclusion of marriage in Advent. I
don't see anything in the BCP or Constitution and Canons.

Here's something I found from RC circles...of course, they don't apply
to us, but I could imagine some folks taking this approach even if not
required:
"A wedding may be celebrated at any season of the year, although
during the penitential seasons of Advent and Lent couples are asked by
the Church to consider the special nature of these times and keep it
simple. On Sundays of Advent, Lent and Easter, the liturgy of the
Sunday with the wedding rites inserted is used."

And in the venerable traditional Ritual Notes (which presumes a Church
of England of the Catholic variety) puts it this way:
"Marriage should not be solemnized during the 'closed seasons,' i.e.
from Advent Sunday to Christmas day, and from Ash Wednesday to Easter
day, all inclusive. This does not mean that weddings are altogether
forbidden in those seasons, for marriage (when in the opinion of the
bishop there is sufficient justification) may at all times be lawfully
and canonically contracted; and recent rulings now permit the nuptial
blessing to be given at all times, even in Advent and Lent, except on
the last three days of Holy week and on All Souls' day. If marriage is
contracted in such circumstances the customary social festivities
should be omitted and all display avoided."

So I think one can conclude there are really no actual restrictions.
Or one can conclude that there should be some scaling back of
festivities in keeping with a preparatory or penitential season. Or
not...just interesting to consider.

--
Scott R. Knitter
Edgewater, Chicago, Illinois USA