[Magdalen] Coffee Hour arrangements (was Re: Heather Cook)

Jim Guthrie jguthrie at pipeline.com
Sat Nov 7 04:05:07 UTC 2015

> I have mixed emotions about this, but I must say it is a good
> way to encourage all to participate in the Little Liturgy of Coffee
> Hour.

Again, is heating the church (or cooling in some <g>) AND the big barn of a
parish hall for the relatively small numbers of coffee hour folk good
stewardship?

Heck, with a smaller congregation than back in the 1950s, is it even good
stewardship to own and maintain that barn next door -- even keeping it warm
enough in winter so pipes don’t freeze?

St Bart's in NYC rents their out for a fine, upscale restaurant that even after
paying property tax (for non-church use) returns a nice piece of change toward
doing actual ministry in the community. And leftover food goes o the poor as
well.

o parish that has not been thoughtful about their physical plant and how to
maximize ministry through finding use for it through the week, or in lieu of
that, selling it or demolishing it to sell the property is not doing the work
God has given us to do. There;s more to using our treasure and talents than
merely cajoling the congregation during stewardship month, I think.

Cheers,
Jim