[Magdalen] When you come to a fork in the road take it

Marion Thompson marionwhitevale at gmail.com
Sun Nov 8 22:30:51 UTC 2015

I effectively may have delivered my farewell to St. P's at coffee this
morning.  I was the intercessor and once again, as usual, the PIC had
totally rewritten them.  Like totally.  It is such a slap. Like I'm
incapable of composing appropriate prayers for our Remembrance Sunday or
any other day?  If he wants short, can't he, as a minimum courtesy email
a few days before and make the request?   He appeared not to know that I
am the licensed lay reader, yes, licensed by the Bishop and writing the
PoP is my responsibility along with occcasional preaching, etc., nobody
had told him anything about who is who around St. P's, he said.  Anyway,
an unpleasant exchange in which I was pretty overheated ended with him
saying he's going to speak to the bishop for clarification and me
agreeing.  He holds that our Anglo-Catholic tradition is only a few
years old (he's surely been listening to someone!) and he plans to hold
a parish meeting and put it to a vote, i.e., what do the people want.
And there was a certain amount of what I would call spiritual blackmail
about how I should put St. P's first over what I want.  I said I'm 77
and I have spent my life putting everything and everyone else first over
me, my mate, and my family, and no more! There are two perfectly good
churches within close walking distance of my new home -- I in no way
plan to leave The Church and my faith, but the tyranny of little men
doesn't have to fill my days (not that I said that!).

So, will I have a call from our Area Bishop pinning my ears back, taking
away my licence, or what? Either one of them can, in fact, dump me, and
maybe that would be all right.  I think I've reached that fork.

Thanks for listening.

Marion, a pilgrim