[Magdalen] Kimchi pickle update.

M J _Mike_ Logsdon mjl at ix.netcom.com
Sun Nov 8 22:47:48 UTC 2015

I don't know how long it's been since I put the two jars up in the fridge, but I only now unleashed the second jar.  Lid very convex, telling me to expect something, and upon unscrewing it, P-shhhhhh goes the sound, and the lacto-fermenting bubbles start welling up from the depths.  I ate one.  To Jay, my source for the recipe, I have the following comments:

1)  Firmness.  Are they supposed to be so soft?  They're not totally soft, but the "crunchiness" is a "look for it" sort of thing.

2)  Flavor.  I taste cucumber, I taste Korean chili powder, I taste garlic, I taste onion.  But my years of tutelage at Chopped has taught me I shouldn't taste them individually, as it were.  It doesn't seem to come together.

As mentioned before, I wonder if I used too much water.  Is that maybe what went "wrong"?  ("Quotes", because they're definitely good, regardless.)