[Magdalen] Another Scotland?

Cantor03 at aol.com Cantor03 at aol.com
Fri Nov 13 17:06:43 UTC 2015

I've read several news items recently that describe various
stages of "independence" for the State of Hawaii.  These  movements
consist of various special interest groups, such as the 100,000 or so
ethnics of pure Hawaiian/Polynesian ancestry, as well as other groups
who have different political agendas.

The proposals run the gamut from complete independence for Hawaii
with no residual strings attached to the USA and various levels of
autonomy in between.

What is interesting is that the USA officials dealing with these  proposals
are described as in full cooperation with these proposals for  autonomy.

There is, of course, the history of American takeover of Hawaii with
overthrow of the Hawaiian Queen and largely because of the desires
of American and British merchants.  This is mid-nineteenth  century.

To me, frankly, these proposals smack of secession, and should be
dealt with accordingly, but this may be purely reactionary and  insensitive
on my part.

Other ideas?

David Strang.