[Magdalen] Tightrope?

Cantor03 at aol.com Cantor03 at aol.com
Mon Nov 16 20:02:56 UTC 2015

My Cousin Connie sent me a small, faded newspaper clipping yesterday.
dated from 1922, and was titled "Superior Normal Girls Meet."  She  found
it cleaning out a closet.

Superior Normal School = University of Wisconsin-Superior, and my
mother was a freshman then with a major in mathematics and a minor
in teaching gym classes.

This meeting was sponsored by the local campus YWCA, and was billed
as a "mixer" for the female students.

There was a formal program to start the event, and the initial act  was
described as "a thrilling piece for three ukuleles."

Next, and more interesting to me, was that the crowd was  "held spellbound
by Constance Northam (my mother) walking a tightrope."

Walking a tightrope ? [!]

Never did I or anyone in the family during her 98 years hear of  such
an event (talent?).  I'll just file it under "family legends."

David Strang --- who has felt sometimes that he was walking a  tightrope,
but never actually did so.