[Magdalen] this morning at the Eucharist

Jay Weigel jay.weigel at gmail.com
Sat Nov 21 13:33:19 UTC 2015

When I was small I remember wearing corduroy overalls. It seemed to me it
was fairly common for little girls then (1940s), at least for playtime.
They didn't look like the "bib overalls" commonly worn by working people
and remade by the Oshkosh company for little boys, but were rather plain
and came in pretty colors. I don't remember wearing jeans much at all until
later on when we started going to Colorado in the summers. We had to wear
dresses to school, but in Wisconsin, at least in grade school, we girls
wore slacks under them in cold weather which were removed at school. If it
was really cold, the teachers would allow us to keep them on, and I have
pictures somewhere from third grade which show some of us with our dresses
plus long pants. In junior high and high school we elected to just freeze
instead, although skirts were long and knee socks were popular.

I didn't wear jeans much until the late 1960s. Oh, those bell bottoms! By
the mid 1970s I was a dedicated jeans wearer, and by the mid 90s I could
pretty much say I owned 2 kinds of clothes, scrubs and jeans. Even my
shorts were mostly denim, a lot of them cut down from old jeans that the
knees were gone out of. To this day I mostly wear jeans when not dressed up
for something, and I rarely dress up any more.