[Magdalen] 21.5 stone...ugh

Lynn Ronkainen houstonklr at gmail.com
Mon Nov 23 22:31:10 UTC 2015

How many of you are familiar with the phrase "food desert". It is used a lot
here in parts of  the city of Houston and some of the poorer outlying areas
(to be designated as such so as not to confuse with the wealthy outlying
areas, that are actually incorporated within the city  so they can 'call
their own shots').

For the unaware a food desert is an area where there are NO traditional
grocery stores of any kind except a corner convenience store or one
associated with a gas station. Not a small family owned grocery store, not a
branch of a local or national chain - no grocery stores that can be walked
to (say a 2 mile distance).

There are many initiatives going on now to lure grocery stores into these
areas with limited success.  There was a time when these areas were better
served but through loss/theft, and not *enough* sales, the stores closed up
shop.

Lynn, often forgetting to be thankful for  what seems to me to be 'little
things'.

website: www.ichthysdesigns.com

attributed to Erma Bombeck
by Richard Rohr