[Magdalen] Harvest

Cantor03 at aol.com Cantor03 at aol.com
Wed Nov 25 15:48:12 UTC 2015

In a message dated 11/25/2015 10:06:10 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
marionwhitevale at gmail.com writes:

Am I  alone in disliking the use of the word 'harvest' when speaking of
taking  the life of sentient beings for food or sport?  To me a field of
wheat or oats or turnips can be harvested, but it feels wrong to include
killing as a similarly bloodless action.  My Oxford Dictionary  appears
to agree with me.

Marion, a  pilgrim>>>>>>>>>>>>

Well, dislike away, but the term is firmly embedded in the hunting
culture.  Hunting is not my cup of tea, but short of big game  hunting
in Africa, I do grant hunting aficionados their right to hunt.

And my trusty Merriam-Webster Dictionary would appear to disagree
with the Oxford (which is more English usage?) with the following
definition:

b :   to gather, catch, hunt, or kill (as salmon, oysters, or deer) for
human use,  sport, or population control

David  Strang.