[Magdalen] Saint Michael and All Angels.

Scott Knitter scottknitter at gmail.com
Thu Oct 1 02:31:40 UTC 2015

On Wed, Sep 30, 2015 at 8:21 PM, Cantor03--- via Magdalen
<magdalen at herberthouse.org> wrote:
> And then there was the LEM who carried her precious package of
> Blessed Sacrament wrapped around her little finger, while she visited
> the coffee hour, drank several cups also smoking (still permitted  then).

Our late previous rector often told of his time as a curate or
possibly seminarian at Grace Church, Sheboygan, Wisconsin. He
accompanied the rector on visits to take Communion to shut-ins in the
surrounding rural areas. Typically the rector would get out of the
car, march up to the front door, and as soon as the shut-in presented
him/herself at the door (or of course in bed if bedridden), he would
say, "The Body of Christ," the communicant would say Amen and receive,
and the rector would turn on his heels and return to the car. No
speaking allowed en route, either.

This does make a little bit of sense if one considers it simply an
extension of the administration of Communion in church: the priest
goes out to people in the nave who can't come to the Communion rail;
likewise, the priest goes out to the homes of those who can't come to
Mass. But it seems a bit cold and bypasses a pastoral opportunity
(confession? how ya doin? How's your leg?). Perhaps there was often a
separate pastoral visit during the week. Probably so.

--
Scott R. Knitter
Edgewater, Chicago, Illinois USA