[Magdalen] Pope and Kim Davis.

M J [Mike] Logsdon mjl at ix.netcom.com
Fri Oct 2 04:33:40 UTC 2015

>>>One thing that fascinated me about the press coverage given the pope was
that the word infallible kept popping up without any 'actual' context. The
pope is not generally considered infallible, only some of his
pronouncements, usually written out at great length, might be so considered
and they are declared as such IIRC (that would be if I remember correctly,
not If I'm RC... as I no longer am <g>) ... encyclicals, I think they are
called.
Lynn<<<

Rome itself is highly confused on this topic.  Strictly speaking, only "ex cathedra" pronouncements are infallible.  But I was trained that anything out of a pope's mouth or pen is ipso facto infallible based solely upon his role as "successor" to Peter.  (I use "quotes" because succession in Rome is not tactile, as it is in my former branch of Old Romanism. An elected position? Successor to Peter? Pope Kim Davis!)

Welcome to why I'm Episcopalian again (albeit functionally unchurched).