[Magdalen] Yet another case of race abuse?

James Oppenheimer-Crawford oppenheimerjw at gmail.com
Fri Oct 2 16:52:59 UTC 2015

Some statistics to consider:

*Incarceration Trends in America*

   - From 1980 to 2008, the number of people incarcerated in America
   quadrupled-from roughly 500,000 to 2.3 million people
   - Today, the US is 5% of the World population and has 25% of world
   prisoners.
   - Combining the number of people in prison and jail with those under
   parole or probation supervision, 1 in ever y 31 adults, or 3.2 percent of
   the population is under some form of correctional control

*Racial Disparities in Incarceration*

   - African Americans now constitute nearly 1 million of the total 2.3
   million incarcerated population
   - African Americans are incarcerated at nearly six times the rate of
   whites

from
http://www.naacp.org/pages/criminal-justice-fact-sheet

James W. Oppenheimer-Crawford