[Magdalen] Yet another case of race abuse?

Sally Davies sally.davies at gmail.com
Fri Oct 2 22:39:15 UTC 2015

I don't know much about racism in America (though I do know a few things
about it here). We have much to learn, I think, from America; and maybe
vice versa.

And I have recently learned (or rather revised) a few things about
statistics, enough to understand that it's not just a matter of counting
heads and comparing. Statistics tell a story that is important but also a
reduction of the data that can be misleading.

If there is a disproportionate population of black people in prison, I can
think of several "statistics" that might be relevant to understanding that
better:

- comparing arrest rates and conviction rates across race groups per head
of population
- comparing who gets a lawyer of their choice and/or bail
- comparing how many minutes the defence attorney spends reading the case
and talking to the client, before going in to defend
- comparing how many of whatever group pleaded guilty under pressure
- and how many pleaded Not Guilty but were convicted
- how many pleaded Not Guilty and got off scot free
- the impact of minimum sentencing which seems to have become a dogs'
breakfast
- the impact of gangsterism and especialy prison gangs, which in this
country have an enormous reach far beyond the prison walls
- controlling the research for confounding factors such as age, level of
education and economic status
- looking at youth populations who stay out of prison to see what might be
helping them do that
- looking at other social variables such as parent support or health or
housing
- including medical records to see what proportion have a history of
significant drug abuse
- likewise, head injury or developmental problems (especially youth
offenders and young adults)
- looking at issues such as training of magistrates/judges and
their accountability or lack of it

...and probably many other things that influence the expression of racism
in the justice system, sometimes directly interacting with sentencing as it
were, and other times exercising an independent effect.

The comparisons would have to be done against a background of demographics
of the country as a whole or county by county since there is wide variation
as Sibyl mentioned (there is here too but not as much as in the USA).

None of it, I'm sure, would indicate that social scientists
could understand why people are dragged into the system without taking race
into account as a key factor.

But the reasons for people being unjustly accused, inadequately represented
in terms of their constitutional rights, pressured into plea bargains,
inadequately rehabilitated in prison, unfairly denied parole, or
inadequately supported on release, are bound to be more complex and not
necessarily based on race.

That kind of information is helpful to activists as well as to
administrators.

Many of these issues are real problems here in SA and 20 years of democracy
along with attempts to make the judicial bench more racially representative
over the years, and various moves to reform the law, have not changed
expressions of criminality or the forms of inequality that lead to it;
though we certainly have as much "white collar crime" and corruption as
ever, and probably more than ever.

I think that both America and South Africa have, historically, set a high
value on the use of violence and force to resolve problems and on locking
criminals up in increasingly horrible conditions rather than trying to
address the root causes of why they are there. And, it's not working.
You've got more and more prisons being built and outsourced, and we've got
impossible overcrowding....

And some of them, whatever colour they may be, should be there and should
stay there. As a personally relevant anecdote, one of my close colleagues,
a therapist working in a prison at the time, was slashed by a gangster and
nearly killed - nothing personal, it was some kind of prison-gang ritual.
Regardless of the reasons, someone capable of doing that needs to be kept
out of circulation, long term, because they are a danger to the general
public that needs to be kept safe; and which also includes black, white and
every other race group.

In South Africa a black person is far more likely to be a crime victim than
a white person, and less likely to see justice done. This past week,
criminals in New Brighton, a poor township outside PE, started making fake
ambulance calls and then holding up the crews at gunpoint for cash, phones
and whatever. Now the ambulances have been told they can't go there except
with police escort. That is really sad and I wouldn't blame that community
for feeling that they're being punished for being poor and unsafe...

If someone commits a crime here in our suburb, no one expects US to get out
in the middle of the night and somehow stop them, and no one assumes that
the criminals are "part of the community", quite the reverse. Here, private
security guards patrol around (not quite Night Guard if anyone's seen that
bizarre show, but not far off). Then all of a sudden when it's New
Brighton, "the community" must take responsibility. And that was from a
Government Health Department spokesman (a known idiot but someone who's
been in his job a long time).

Truly racism has many faces and many voices, and is exceptionally difficult
to root out.
Time to dismount from my hobby horse and go to bed :-)

Sally D