[Magdalen] How's the weather in South Carolina

Ginga Wilder gingawilder at gmail.com
Sat Oct 3 13:18:22 UTC 2015

Of further note,this morning's Charleston newspaper, the Post and Courier
has a front page article giving information that with all the rain in the
area, snakes are leaving their safe places.  Four people have been bitten
in the area by poisonous snakes in past two weeks.  SC Lowcountry offer
habitat for four venomous snakes (rattlesnakes, copper heads, cotton mouth
moccasins, and coral snakes).  We also have plenty of nonpoisonous snakes.
As the rainfall continues, we are to expect more snakes.  Snakes don't bite
unless they feel threatened.

Ten more inches of rain are expected over the next two days.  We have
already had 3-6 inches.  National Weather Service predicts this storm may
be 'a once every 200 - 500 year rainfall potential'.  Whatever, the
rainfall is a phenomenon.

In Summerville, steady, unrelenting heavy rain has fallen since last
evening.  There is no wind and no lightening.  We are under severe flash
flood warnings.  There seems to be no difference in rainfall amounts
predictions across the lowcountry....Charleston is predicted to have less
than Orangeburg, located in the middle of the state.  The downtown streets
are flooded in Greenville, SC, located in the upstate near the western NC
border.  Charleston, SC is essentially built below sea level and the earth
beneath cannot stand much rain without flooding, so Charleston is flooded.

Our yard, which is usually high and dry, has 3 inch deep standing water
along one side of the house...think very large puddle.  We have not lost
power in our neighborhood, but some areas have...water-logged trees falling
across power lines.

John has an important errand to run and will check how our canals are doing
while he is out.  I'm betting they have overflowed their banks.

Will update later.
Ginga