[Magdalen] Prayers for two children

Jay Weigel jay.weigel at gmail.com
Mon Oct 5 23:10:02 UTC 2015

The boy had his first appearance before a judge today and was ordered
detained until his first hearing, which is scheduled for Oct. 28. That
hearing is expected to be delayed. DHS is investigating the family
situation, so this may be one reason.

A local defense attorney (not one I think highly of, although he gets his
clients off, which is his job) said it would be highly unlikely for the
state to charge the boy as an adult in view of his age. It has never been
done in Tennessee and would likely bring on an army of psychiatrists and
psychologists and be a 3 ring circus mixed with a goat rodeo. It's more
likely that he will be detained until the age of 19, the maximum in
Tennessee, with a focus on rehabilitation. That's not going to satisfy a
lot of people. The attorney also said the parents could be charged with
abuse and neglect if it was found (as it likely will be) that firearms were
left where children could easily get to them.

It's reported that the boy is one of 6 children. There's no report of where
he fits in the family or how many children are in the home. This could
result in any other children being removed from the home temporarily or
permanently, depending on findings by DHS. Not a good situation all around.
FWIW, this all occurred in a mobile home park. Looks like a fairly nice one
though.