[Magdalen] "No parent should ever have to bury their child."

Roger Stokes roger.stokes65 at btinternet.com
Mon Oct 5 23:48:52 UTC 2015

On 06/10/2015 00:18, Susan Hagen wrote:
> I don't think it is a loss you can ever 'get over'.  I do pray for the
> strength to endure and for whatever comfort they can find.

In my last parish I had a church member whose daughter had committed
suicide while suffering post-natal psychosis.  She said that she had
told another priest, whose son had died as the result of an apparent
accident, that you don't get over it but you get better at dealing with it.

Later her other child, the younger brother, died from a comgenital
condition.  He had received emergency baptism on the day he was born
(coincidentally the day I was ordained deacon) as he was not expected to
survive.  He was a testament of life in adversity.  He wanted a
collection for his favourity charity at his funerl so at his requiem
during my address I got a collecting bucket from where it had been out
of sight, put it on the coffin and said I wanted a silent (paper not
coins) offering as people approached the rail for communion or a blessing.

Roger