[Magdalen] Speaking of the Carolinas...

Ginga Wilder gingawilder at gmail.com
Tue Oct 6 11:07:32 UTC 2015

David, South Carolina accents vary across the state.  The further into the
upstate from Charleston you move, the more 'North Carolina' you will
find...but with SC's very own distinctions.  People in the Pee Dee area and
people from Columbia and others from Greenville all speak with a Southern
accents but not the same ones.  Charleston, on the other hand, has a
dialect unto itself.  Wikipedia has a good description;
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charleston,_South_Carolina

Truth is, as more people move to the South and South Carolina, one does not
hear so many 'pure' accents these days.  Just in our small church we have
families from Chicago, Michigan, NY, VT, VA, etc.  One of our members has a
heavy Charleston accent and I have a smidge...my father was born and raised
in Charleston and his mother was of French Huguenot descent.

And, to Sibyl's article, I would love to do excavation at an archetural
site.  One is being done locally at the 1750 English Church ruins built as
part of the Church Act of 1706.  An entire settlement grew there with 1800
residents in its hay day.  On the Ashley River, the highway to Charleston
for the plantations.  St. George's English church's bell tower still stands
but everything else is lost.  Digs to find the foundation have been going
on for years, as have those to identify the village buildings and homes.  A
tabby fort remains more or less intact on the river banks.  General Swamp
Fox Marion from time to time fought for the colonies in the fort.

History, including that beneath the ground, is fasinating to me.

Ginga