[Magdalen] It Trittico Opera Stuff.

Cantor03 at aol.com Cantor03 at aol.com
Thu Oct 8 16:53:07 UTC 2015

In a message dated 10/8/2015 10:55:09 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
scottknitter at gmail.com writes:

Some of  the same things I dislike about the music in Fidelio are what
I don't like  about Beethoven's too-often-sung Hallelujah chorus from
Christ on the Mount  of Olives. I don't think he "got" choral
writing>>>>>>>

Try the Choral (9th) Symphony for repeated sing/shouts for the  hapless
choir.  Beethoven treats vocalists as just another instrument in  the
ensemble, and it gets very easily exhausting.  The appeal of this  is
without question, however.  I remember riding the public transit of  Kyoto
(Japan) and noticing a number of riders attempting to mouth the  German
text for the Beethoven 9th.  It all fitted together when I turned on  local
television to discover the local symphony and megachorus performing
the 9th Symphony.

Nothing like German sung with a Japanese accent.

David Strang.