[Magdalen] VTS Chapel,

Cantor03 at aol.com Cantor03 at aol.com
Sat Oct 10 01:55:28 UTC 2015

The latest issue of the pipe organ monthly, "Diapason" arrived
today, and the lead article is about the new Taylor & Boody  instrument
at the new VTS Chapel.  It is of 44 ranks on two manuals and  pedal.

There is one picture of the completed organ and Chapel apparently  taken
from the main doors and looking toward the organ case - very nicely
built out of oaks removed from the site for building the Chapel.

The altar is on a raised platform, and there is a huge dark metal
chandelier over the altar which acts like a baldachin.  The  altar
has a Laudian frontal, which fits nicely.

The Chapel, discussed here on list in the past, is in the form of a  Grecian
cross, and finished with hard plaster and tile floor, all done to enhance
the acoustic of the building.  Quite a bit of fussing occurred over  the
acoustical aspects.

Architect was the prominent firm of Robert A. M. Stern, one of the  really
big design studios in the USA.  However, they had very little  experience
designing churches, and I'm not sure why they were chosen.

In any case, the Chapel comes off to me still a bit sterile, and since  the
pipe organ case is IMO over and away the most attractive feature of
the Chapel, liturgies at the altar are going to have a tough time
competing.

YMMV, of course.

http://www.thediapason.com/content/cover-feature-30

David Strang.