[Magdalen] On a humorous note

Jim Guthrie jguthrie at pipeline.com
Sat Oct 10 19:27:43 UTC 2015

From: Mahoney, W. Michael

>It ain't just a church problem.  There is a very large segment of humanity
>that believes that any chord will sound better if it is just sounded longer.

LOL!

I heard that criticism to the tune I wrote for a "school song" as part of a 7th
grade music class assignment.

Had the opposite problem in college -- the music dept. decreed that all organ
students write Mass Setting for the new ICET/ICEL texts. All of us got D's
because (a) our chords were;t long enough and (b) part of the assignment was
that the music must be singable by a musically unsophisticated congregation.
Most of our compositions would have made John Cage proud.

Cheers,
Jim