[Magdalen] Good grief! talk about a rare event! Wonderful photo.

James Oppenheimer-Crawford oppenheimerjw at gmail.com
Tue Oct 13 20:11:40 UTC 2015

I did not know this, but apparently we have a satellite waaay out there
watching the earth. As it happens, the moon came between the satellite and
the earth, and it also just happened that this happened when the sun was
behind the "photographer," so we get a full sphere (well, virtually full)
of both the earth and the moon.

This link points to the NASA web site's animation of a series of photos.
This is a real jaw dropper. Both the Earth and the moon are in focus at the
same time, which initially made me think this had to be a hoax. From that
distance, however, I guess focal length isn't a big factor....

http://www.nasa.gov/feature/goddard/from-a-million-miles-away-nasa-camera-shows-moon-crossing-face-of-earth

Here is a tinyurl for those having trouble with the gee-whiz-that's-long
URL above.

http://tinyurl.com/nre2skf

Enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pljHSnNzygg