[Magdalen] Hymnals and Perspective.o

James Oppenheimer-Crawford oppenheimerjw at gmail.com
Tue Oct 13 20:48:57 UTC 2015

I had been told that the hymn gremlins wanted to make the congregation sing
unison, but I thought of what you describe as possibly having some impact
too. It IS a heavy volume even with all the harmonies removed.

All told, it's not really bad; definitely not as bad as some hymnals I've
sung out of.
I think the gremlins got a bit over-awed at the idea of going back to older
sources just because. Someone should tell them that in music (as opposed to
hymns), this might be a real consideration because in the intervening
centuries (centuries, not just a few years), the musicians literally forgot
how the music was supposed to go. The situation's way different with hymns.
Newer hymns generally have a more crisp and pleasing sound, whereas the
older versions sound like -- well, much older versions: stodgy, dusty,
unimaginative.  I am astounded that a gathering of supposedly knowledgeable
musicians did not realize this, but well, there it is.
If you want a hymnal for people who just want the hymns and the harmony
doesn't even register with them, then there's nothing the matter with the
new one at all.

If the congregation could just get into the consistent habit of singing
organum (rather than merely be accident), those of us with a low voice
register would happily sing the tune in a register we could sing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rkb54z8i4l0

And let us not forget there are a solid group who, no matter what you do,
never sing. I don't think they care what hymnal we use.

James W. Oppenheimer-Crawford