[Magdalen] Lactic acid fermentation (from Kimchi pickle thread).

M J [Mike] Logsdon mjl at ix.netcom.com
Wed Oct 14 23:48:18 UTC 2015

Question for the scientifical sorts amongst us.  I did the usual internet digging on lactic acid fermentation (that which makes the famous kimchi pickles of late), and frankly there seems to be something my brain just isn't getting.  The sugars in the cucumber are converted into lactic acid, I get.  But where does the lactobacillus that acts on the sugars come from?  Naturally in the cucumber?  The spices?  The water?  I'm prepared to V8 my forehead the moment what I'm sure is the obvious answer is uttered.