[Magdalen] Gerrymandering was Canada's election

Sibyl Smirl polycarpa3 at ckt.net
Tue Oct 20 03:58:23 UTC 2015

On 10/19/15 9:02 PM, Scott Knitter wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 19, 2015 at 8:27 PM, Kristin Rollins <kristin at verumsolum.com> wrote:
>> My favorite for a long time has been Tobique-Mactaquac.
>
> Love it.
>
> I think our congressional districts are numbered to allow for
> gerrymandering.

Scott, I don't think that it's so much gerrymandering as simple
redistricting (which can be perverted to gerrymandering, making very
interesting map mathematical geometrics).  But districts are supposed to
have roughly equal population numbers, which in a state like Kansas,
with two big cities, Wichita and Kansas City, and mostly rural land
area, can be very interesting and problematic indeed.  And populations
shift all the time.  The very odd shapes a district can get, to make a
majority of one party, determined by demographics, in some favored
congressperson's "district", probably very odd shapes in a place like
the Chicago area which is notorious for that sort of political maneuver,
is the Gerrymander (the label inspired by someone saying that the map of
a district which had been redistricted to be safe for a congressperson
named Gerry, looked like a salamander.)

--
Sibyl Smirl
mailto:polycarpa3 at ckt.net