[Magdalen] health care...

Ginga Wilder gingawilder at gmail.com
Tue Oct 20 22:07:08 UTC 2015

Eleanor, this is my experience with Medicare and a top of the line (self
pay) Medigap policy.  When, at age 62, I had breast cancer surgery and 33
radiation treatments 6 years ago and had high cost self pay insurance, the
out of pocket cost  to us was $18000 out of pocket...we're still paying for
that 6 years later.  When the cancer recurred in Spring 2015, I had a
bilateral mastectomy and no further treatment.  The only thing I paid was
for medication that I was given in my overnight in the hospital.

I have not had any trouble in seeing my doctors (4 that I see regularly -
quarterly during the year) and one other that did a neurological workup
because of a fall I had.  This week I will have an MRI of my spine, still
tracing down mysterious symptoms.  I will not pay anything out of pocket
for this.  I thank the government beyond measure for Medicare and Medigap.

I take lots of medications that keep me ticking.  I am in the donut hole
right now.  My monthly bill was $425 in September.  It was over $300 in
August and about $250 this month.  This is hard to pay, but one of my
medications is $600/month and Medicare Part D allows charges of $350.  It
is what it is.

FWIW.
Ginga