[Magdalen] health care...

Jo Craddock jocraddock at gmail.com
Wed Oct 21 02:35:51 UTC 2015

I can't imagine it would be less than what insurance companies decide on
their own what they will and won't cover.

I'm an employee because of health insurance. As self-employed persons,
Rodger and I could not find a plan that would cover us, or the children
and me and him. At any amount of money. The children and I were on what
is now a high-deductible, but before ACA, called a catastrophic plan
with a deductible that amounted to a couple of our credit card limits
that we set aside just for that potentiality. My 2008 supposedly-covered
annual exam (under that "preventive medicine" clause) became uncovered
when I mentioned I thought I was having peri-menopausal symptoms. No
complaints. No request for tests. Just shared the info with the
physician, asking if the symptoms I was experiencing were indeed
indicative of that, so the diagnosis and treatment codes changed.

There is one hypertension medication that works well and without adverse
side effects for Rodger. It, of course, wasn't covered at all under our
individual plans, and hasn't been "on the formulary" on what is a pretty
decent group plan through the church until this year so also uncovered,
at nearly $400 per month. The savings made purchasing it on various
trips to Europe easily covered the air fare, and more. The pharmacists
handed the prescription back, so we could purchase it there, and there,
and there and there and there!

I, for one, without strong family history of breast cancer but strange
breast tissue, am glad to see some tightening of recommendations, and
liberality in release of findings (in Louisiana, medical records belong
to the doctor/clinic!). I can easily count in big bills (not all the
little separate lab charges) over $25K out of pocket in the last eight
years due to what were described as "worrisome" mammograms to find out
I'm strange, but healthy. I realize that would be of absolutely no
concern if there had been disease found in time to be eradicated, but I
greatly sympathize with the emotional, physical, and financial stress
caused by false positives.

Peace,
Jo