[Magdalen] Well at least that's over with.

Sally Davies sally.davies at gmail.com
Thu Oct 22 03:32:47 UTC 2015

I watched The Daily Show (for its new South African host who seems to be
struggling to find the right note), and it said that whilst TV polls are
hugely for Hillary, Bernie attracted the most interest and support on the
Internet.

So if 'dressing your baby as Bernie' is any guide to future
votes....though no more ridiculous than anything Donald Trump says. They
also featured the spat on camera and then on Twitter between Trump and Jeb
Bush, the most unedifying and frankly disgusting sequence where Trump tried
to insinuate that GWB was to blame for 9/11, whilst denying that he was
doing that, and Jeb got himself into an unwinnable argument with a foe
unworthy even for him and a loyal non-argument "my brother kept us safe".

O'Malley was the guest on the show and he tried to set up a polarity
between "Wall Street" and "the rest of the economy" and then to imply that
Hillary is too close to "Wall Street". I thought he was charming and
intelligent but not ready for a Presidential race - though maybe sometime
in the future?  And the point raised by Noah that Hillary calls "Big
Pharma" one of her enemies yet accepts massive donations from them is also
somewhat telling. Still, one can't expect a capable politician, and she's
certainly that, not to make the most of a question like "which enemies are
you most proud of".

Hillary's the only one of either side who looks even vaguely Presidential
to me but I'm not sure what looks Presidential to Americans in different
parts of "the world in one country". Who gets the Latino vote?

On the subject of the Daily Show, Noah did a brilliant sketch last week of
"America's First African President" where they photo-shopped Donald Trump
as various highly recognisable African dictators (Mobutu, Amin, Mugabe and
Gaddafi) as well as our dubiously democratic President Zuma, and showed how
actual things Trump has said in this campaign - as well as his general
attitude - exactly mirrors statements made by these African monsters.

Trevor Noah is very popular here but he could end up with more South
African viewers than Americans if he doesn't find a style that has a
broader appeal. I think he's hilarious most of the time but am wondering
how it's going over State-side.

Sally D