[Magdalen] Show Boat.

M J [Mike] Logsdon mjl at ix.netcom.com
Fri Oct 23 18:24:04 UTC 2015

>>>Fun but still a subjective version with its uniform tempo throughout.
Bing Crosby's voice must have substantially matured after this
recording in which his later characteristic croon is as yet  undeveloped.
He doesn't seem to have much control over his voice, and there is
erratic vibrato.
This is not meant as a criticism of Bing, but only an observation
of the early stages of what became "the most popular voice in  history."
Count me as an admirer of both Paul Whiteman and Bing Crosby.<<<

Not taken as criticism at all.  The pre-Decca (1934) Bing was, for some hard to believe, a tenor, and yes, he was quite young and had yet to "take singing lessons" as one critic has said, and become the baritone we all later knew him to be.

In this recording is exhibited his later claim to "sing above the tempo", like how he believed Bix played his cornet (that's Bix on the very, very short break).

Indeed, if there'd never been a Paul Whiteman, there'd most likely never have been a Bing Crosby.