[Magdalen] Show Boat.

Sibyl Smirl polycarpa3 at ckt.net
Fri Oct 23 23:45:28 UTC 2015

On 10/23/15 1:48 PM, Sibyl Smirl wrote:
>>    Now I've got a temptation to buy another recording  :o( <<<
>>
>> Did you listen to my Bing Crosby - Paul Whiteman Youtube?
>>
>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kO5RSab6p-c
>>

> Thanks, Mike. I always liked Bing Crosby, but this isn't what I think
> Bing Crosby should be, and very much not what I think Old Man River
> should be, way too fast.

I skated over YouTube with the URLs given me and others that I found on
the site.  I have problems with YouTube: something about it gives me
insufficient volume on my computer (iTunes does just fine).  Maybe I
could hear better with headphones, but haven't messed with trying it
with the computer yet.  I think Paul Robeson or William Warfield is the
version I have in my head, but neither of them sounds quite right,
somehow. (Could be the computer/YouTube problem).  Should be one of
them, as the originals, of course.  Maybe my "ideal" just drifted in
memory, or maybe it was someone else that I really remember, that I've
heard somewhere else over the years, such a setting as the concert
version David originally talked about, on a recording or television.

I read most or all of Ferber's novels in High School, maybe several
times.  For some reason, that "one drop of Negro blood in me" gimmick
from Show Boat stuck firmly in my mind.  Don't know whether that was in
the movie or stage versions or not.

Thank you, people.

--
Sibyl Smirl