[Magdalen] How to view Presiding Bishop Installation Service

Cantor03 at aol.com Cantor03 at aol.com
Sun Oct 25 17:02:17 UTC 2015

In a message dated 10/25/2015 9:38:44 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
jay.weigel at gmail.com writes:

On  Sun, Oct 25, 2015 at 1:31 AM, James Oppenheimer-Crawford  <
oppenheimerjw at gmail.com> wrote:

> Jay, you may not have  noticed, but several people on this list are not
> members of  tec.
>
> Bishops are an anachronism we don't need anymore, and it  is a bit of a
> surprise to me to think that folks have any qualms with  that.  Numerous
> folks have expressed profound reservations about  the wisdom of having
> significant power resting in one induhvidual who  may or may not know how
> handle  it.>>>>>>>

This might have been written by a Presbyterian.

I have nothing against Presbyterians, and a lot of my ancestors were  of
that denomination.  However, Reform ideas sometimes run  completely
counter to Anglican tenets.  When the Procathedral and next door  First
Presbyterian had the tradition of joint worship once per year, the bass
singer
from the First Presbyterian Choir sitting next to me told me (1)  Eucharist
every Sunday was "too much," and (2) The sight of a bishop in cope ad
mitre "made him sick."

The fact is that these two downtown churches come from two traditions
that have often been at odds with the other.  The ethnic makeup of  the
two congregations is very similar, but that doesn't mean they are all
alike.

I think in this day and age we need to accept each denomination with  its
inherent baggage, and rejoice in the variety.  Whatever one things  about
the Anglican Tradition, Anglicans have never felt they had the  exclusive
conduit to salvation.

David Strang.