[Magdalen] Wafting Odors.

Cantor03 at aol.com Cantor03 at aol.com
Sun Oct 25 17:50:55 UTC 2015

It must be a Sunday thing here in the woods of Pennsylvania, but
there is a heavy odor of charcoal of the type used for barbeques
in the air.  The weather is overcast, but comfortable  outside at 57 F (14
C).

I am reminded that because my father and most of his friends
were born in the second half of the nineteenth century (father: 1880)
I missed out on several developments in home cookery.

I thus take after my father in that I do not cook at all with the  exception
of the simple breakfast stuff.  I NEVER saw my father in our  kitchen
except to sit down at the breakfast "nook" for a meal.  Men of  that
generation simply did not cook, period.  Never mind that the
great international cooks in both European and Asian traditions were
largely male.  Men, at least of that ilk, did not cook at home.

There was also not a barbeque phase in that generation, and I have
never been a barbequer either, of the type where the husband in
the family ruled the Weber Grills.

The current phase, where men are often cooking and baking is
obviously not what's happening here.

However, I love to watch the cooking shows on the "Create" Channel
of PBS.  If Martha says it's so, IT'S SO!

David Strang.