[Magdalen] Autumn Splendor.

Charles Wohlers charles.wohlers at verizon.net
Mon Oct 26 15:46:03 UTC 2015

Drove up here from Mass. yesterday, and, yes, the colo(u)r along the way was
gorgeous. Down in SE Mass., Fall color is just about to hit its prime, but
it was at peak from Manchester (NH) all the way to Franconia Notch. Past
there (and here), however, the trees are pretty much bare, save for beeches
and the tamarack (larches) you speak of. American larch grows wild up here
(altho not on our property) and is fairly common. I love watching the beech
trees turn - they start at the top, turning orange then brown, so you have a
nice transition from the top to bottom of the tree, brown at the top, then
orange, and finally still some green at the very bottom of the tree. Young
beeches especially tend to keep their leaves all winter, but it's a very
dead looking brown and not (IMHO) particularly attractive.

That's the report from Vermont -

Chad Wohlers
Woodbury, VT USA
chadwohl at satucket.com