[Magdalen] Wafting Odors.

Sibyl Smirl polycarpa3 at ckt.net
Mon Oct 26 19:43:17 UTC 2015

On 10/26/15 2:16 PM, Cantor03--- via Magdalen wrote:

> In a message dated 10/26/2015 3:09:39 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
> michaudme at gmail.com writes:
>

> A  few weeks later I was at an outdoor lunch in Normandy (on a  hill
> overlooking the ocean).  >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
>

> Of course the Normans of Normandy and William the Conqueror fame
> are from Viking stock.  Norman = Northman.  There are some  interesting
> Viking remnants around the present Province of Normandy, including
> some rune stones just outside the magnificent medieval church
> of Saint Ouen in Rouen.

And then, IIRC, there are _also_ a lot of Celtic remnants, cultural and
genetic, in Normandy, and some Frank intrusion. The French have been
trying for a long time to erase the cultural remnants of the Viking and
Celtic, and haven't entirely succeeded, though the Norse cooperated
enthusiastically at becoming French.  Normandy and Brittany are a mess
and a melting pot, though not as much as the US, because we have a lot
of African, Jewish, Native American and Iberian as well as the European
mix.

--
Sibyl Smirl
mailto:polycarpa3 at ckt.net