[Magdalen] World Serious

Scott Knitter scottknitter at gmail.com
Thu Oct 29 15:13:39 UTC 2015

On Thu, Oct 29, 2015 at 9:14 AM, Jay Weigel <jay.weigel at gmail.com> wrote:
> I really hate the DH, though.

<Warning: Non-fan of sports about to speak>

I always thought the Designated Hitter rule was intended either to be
adopted, eventually, by both major leagues or dropped. Seems odd that
each league has had this significant difference in rules and then
purports to have a "world" championship between the leagues' leaders
on an equal basis.

(While a non-fan, I do know that the rule, in the American League
only, allows teams to name a Designated Hitter to take a turn at bat
in place of the pitcher, throughout the game, and this is the standard
AL practice. So pitchers only pitch, never bat. In the National
League, pitchers have to take their turn in the batting order unless
replaced temporarily by a pinch hitter under normal both-leagues
rules.)

--
Scott R. Knitter
Edgewater, Chicago, Illinois USA