[Magdalen] Named for saints.

Jay Weigel jay.weigel at gmail.com
Thu Oct 29 23:22:58 UTC 2015

LOL Scott! I know what you mean! I saw a picture on Facebook that purported
to be of cubbies in some preschool or kindergarten with "Aidan" spelled 7
different ways......and no, I am NOT kidding! (Did I mention my friend with
Emma Claire named her son Aiden? *sigh*)

I swear, if I were naming kids today I would stick pretty strictly to the
same biblical names we did 35-40 years ago. They have worn well. There were
a few Adams to go along with ours, but you can't misspell that too many
ways. No Samuels in our Sam's age group but one we knew that was several
years younger, and he was a IV, so that was to be expected in his family.
Very few Elizabeths and ours was the only one called Betsy anywhere she
went. We had thought of Abigail or Rachel (both family names) should we
have another girl, and they didn't become popular until later. Another boy
(or Betsy, had she been a boy) would have been David. I never much went
along with naming fads, and the whole "creative spelling" business drives
me batty.