[Magdalen] School-to-prison pipeline, the ugly reality behind Spring Valley school arrest

Sally Davies sally.davies at gmail.com
Sat Oct 31 04:27:47 UTC 2015

When I first saw the assault on Sky News, the news anchor commented on what
also disturbed me - the apparent indifference of the other students. It was
as though, for them, this was something routine; or that they were afraid
of the officer and didn't want to draw attention by staring. Someone
must have been ready with their phone having resolved to film a future
incident - and if so well done as that was brave.

Then I saw the public statement of the Sheriff Department referring to
"school resource officer" and realised that the police ARE routinely there.
What a powerful statement of oppression turning the classroom into a
panopticon with state violence in the corner of your eye the whole time.

And what a way to turn teenagers of any race group but especially those who
might already feel oppressed, against society and the system. I also feel
for the teachers, as any teacher who tries to create a learning-friendly
atmosphere in the classroom - open, creative, relaxed and happy - would
have an uphill task.

There is, I suppose, a second "pipeline" - from Juvie to adult prison
through exposure to real criminals and new levels of violence.

In addition to the oppression of black people and women, I wonder about a
dynamic that seems present in some countries which is prejudicial to youth
in general. In aging societies it's hard for young people to have a voice
and no one cares what they think, they're more likely to be seen as a
nuisance or a threat than as a resource themselves

The sad truth is that THE most important "resource" any school, community
or society needs are our children and young people because they are the
future, our future - as the Chinese government just belatedly discovered.
Especially the girls and young women...

I hope this provokes an outcry but fear it may just fall into the wake of
the passing show that is 24 hour news coverage.

Nor do I agree with punishing and fining parents. Adolescents can be very
difficult to manage and parents often lack skills or enough influence. In
crime ridden communities they are afraid to alienate their children in case
they turn to gangsters for financial support; and parents often have
serious financial or personal problems themselves. None of which is an
excuse for failing our children but it does set a context for the
uselessness and injustice of punitive responses.

Sally D