[Magdalen] Mispronunciation (was Re: List sibs departed from this life)

Roger Stokes roger.stokes65 at btinternet.com
Sat Oct 31 22:30:05 UTC 2015

On 31/10/2015 14:45, Marion Thompson wrote:
> Back in the day when my last name was de Courcy-Ireland, on some
> occasions my patter was 'small d e, capital C o u r c y hyphen Ireland
> as in Great Britain.

Marion,

Geographical technicality here - Ireland is not in Great Britain. The
extend name of the UK is the United Kingdom of Great Britain and
Northern Ireland.  It is part of the British Isles, along with Isle of
Man and (I believe) the Channel Isles which are not part of the UK or of
the European Union.  Geography and national autonomy are fun over here. :-)

Roger