[Magdalen] Speaking of money

Scott Knitter scottknitter at gmail.com
Wed Sep 2 11:22:04 UTC 2015

How does one speak with one's significant other about the state of household finances? This is an ongoing problem here in our relationship. I'm the sole earner, so I manage the accounts and bills, and I'm accused by my dear partner of keeping him in the dark about how much I earn, how much we can afford to spend, etc.

Believe me, I'd like to keep him informed, but I haven't found a way that works, apparently. I've tried simply sharing bank statements with him and I've tried developing a summary spreadsheet. He doesn't spend time perusing these...perhaps it's a Myers-Briggs difference and there needs to be a more NF way of communicating our financial picture. But even without cold, hard numbers on paper, our conversations about money tend to end up with his feeling guilty or angry and my feeling annoyed.

Just wondering if others have had similar struggles and found ways to talk about money.

Sent from my iPad