[Magdalen] Piazza Martin Lutero.

Cantor03 at aol.com Cantor03 at aol.com
Wed Sep 2 19:21:29 UTC 2015

In a message dated 9/2/2015 3:09:56 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
houstonklr at gmail.com writes:

have  heard it said that if Martin+ had been an Italian  the Lutherans
would
never have existed....
Lynn>>>>>>

JS Bach country and Luther country in Germany are much the
same.  On a trip into the former East Germany I stayed in Erfurt
where I viewed the Augustinian monastic cell where Luther lived,
and the spot in the Erfurt Cathedral where Luther was priested, with
mixed emotions.  Good or bad, the Reformation was a breaking
apart of the Church, and therefore sad from that point of view.

Several days later, on my return to Frankfurt/M, I had to contend
with heavy fog much of the trip, but the fog lifted suddenly, and
the Wartburg Castle where Luther translated the Bible into German,
was dramatically lit off to the right.

I took it as a sign, pulled off the autobahn, and toured Wartburg
Castle.

I was really interested in the historical associations of the area  with
JS Bach, but Luther got in his licks, too.

David Strang.