[Magdalen] Speaking of money

Lynn Ronkainen houstonklr at gmail.com
Wed Sep 2 20:01:22 UTC 2015

MONEY is hard.

I'll bet that many couples have different attitudes, issues and complexities
about money, budgeting, 'sharing', mine, yours etc.

In my marriage we had: his, mine and ours. I was a stay at home mom for 25
years, with several part time jobs throughout that time and finally a
business (albeit with small income).  My then husband and I approached
budgeting with similar goals and expectations of: the budget, setting up the
budget and our individual responsibilities to it and discussion if necessary
if expectations were broken or had to be revised.

IMO when one person brings in no money (and I can speak from years of my
personal experience), the money earner is in the drivers seat, IMO. In a
healthy relationship, the 'driver' provides an allowance (can take many
forms) to the partner/wife etc.  The amount of this allowance may or may not
be mutually agreed upon, but it should also be completely up to the receiver
of the allowance to spend their money any way they choose, including the
possible already agreed upon needs they have in addition to some extra 'just
because'.  Careless spending, running out of money etc are no reason to
adjust the amount or accommodate an inability to manage one's 'allowance'.
Individual personal credit cards are discouraged for those getting the
allowance as overspending is more easily avoided (especially if this is
already an issue), and overspending may likely become the responsibility of
the wage earner.  Trial runs can be made - but the ultimate 'responsibility'
of the debt, if any should rest with the credit card 'owner'. Joint credit
cards can be a bit dicey if the non-earner is not disciplined or of like
mind about what can be charged. If 'rules' for both parties are laid down
for the joint card, it is important to follow the rules and make adjustments
if they are not followed, including not allowing use of the joint card. (I
also speak of experience here with a family member who had a credit problem,
a lying problem and often opened credit cards in the name of their spouse,
unknown to them... thousands of dollars of debt and over a decade later that
issue is still active - the debt, not the relationship). Money issues have
to be talked about, planned around and followed through by at least one
person in a paired situation where there is only one wage earner, or chaos,
disagreement and anger will ensue.

Money issues can be hard. It is the number one problem in relationships, I'm
told. Bigger than infidelity or child raising. It is not always easy to
create a plan, but without a plan, a difficult situation will go from bad to
worse. A difficult situation caused by a plan will still create order that
will eventually make for a better situation, if not a great situation. IMO,
of course.

When a non earner is part of a pair, this does not necessarily mean that the
wage earner makes all the spending decisions, but I do think, in a healthy,
respectful relationship the wage earner has the larger role.

It can be challenging to maintain this slippery slope but it can be done and
ultimately the roles become more comfortable then they were at the start. I
think the allowance, regardless of how 'dated' that might seem is an
important element. That way the recipient of the allowance is given free
control over their money and it IS clear to all if they are capable of
managing it. If not, their loss.  This lack of management then becomes a
detail of the bigger conversation, and a goal to work for.  Even in a dual
income pair, there needs to be a 'plan' or chaos will occur, and/or the
relationship will become strained.

At the age of almost 63 I must say that it took me over 55 years to figure
out that others are not responsible for my feelings.  I am able to make this
statement only because of much hard work on myself and with others who have
similar challenges. Nor am I responsible for the feelings of others, if I am
striving to be a loving person, spouse, parent, friend.... this is also
wrapped up in many relational issues such as in
marriages/partnerships/friendships - I am doing my best.

Scott, I hope that you and STY can work out a plan for your household,
knowing that it can only, always only meet some needs and may not ever meet
everyone's needs or level of happiness/satisfaction.

peace
Lynn

website: www.ichthysdesigns.com

attributed to Erma Bombeck