[Magdalen] National cathedral

Lynn Ronkainen houstonklr at gmail.com
Wed Sep 2 20:31:00 UTC 2015

I must confess, I've not yet gone to the site... I'm assuming a number of
events are listed for voting... I thought it was more 'personal' than that
in our cyber world/life, and that people would be able to leave 'memories'
on an e-post or something.

I have a number of memories at the National Cathedral, some of which include
folks from our list. Also, that my first visit there was before it was
'finished' - my senior class trip planners (school teacher sponsors) had
chosen the NC as the location for the church service we would attend on
Easter Sunday (1970) during the course of our visit to D.C. on my public
school senior trip. I'm not sure if it was optional, but hey, I was RC at
the time and not going to church would not yet have been on my radar. I
bought a special dove to hang on a chain around my neck in the gift shop
(made by a small fairly new Texas Company - James Avery Jewelers, which I
did not know at the time). I lost the dove only a few months later and was
crushed... I'd bought the dove because in 1970 doves = peace, *man*..... For
literally YEARS I looked for that dove design. During my 'desert years', I'd
often peruse a 'Christian shop' just hoping I might find that dove... never
did.  After moving to Houston in '87, my daughter took me to a local jeweler
store in a strip mall not too far from home because she wanted to show me
something that 'everyone in school was wearing' - special rings with a
dangling, single silver charm (many choices). Off we went. The store was one
of many James's Avery Jewelry stores dotted around the state (and now other
states too) and as I browsed around while she was looking at rings, I found
'my dove'... kind of an interesting full circle story for me about something
small but big in other ways. Of course I bought it. : )

Lynn, nice to hear the individual stores about how the NC may have touched
our lives.

website: www.ichthysdesigns.com

attributed to Erma Bombeck
by Richard Rohr